The Peninsula has grown slowly and steadily over the years and now combines the best of Auckland.
The Point Chevalier Historical Society
A friendly and very active group of people interested in local history we meet approximately every six weeks, and have a regular newsletter that started Nov 2008, 'The Point Chevalier Times'. They are great and well worth a read.
Everyone is welcome to attend our meetings which are held on a Thursday morning. You can also become a member (annual fee $10) which entitles you to receive our newsletters. We are also keen to hear from anyone who has special knowledge of pieces of our history and would be prepared to share it with members. For more information visit our site at
Contact Lisa Truttman, 828 8494, email@example.com. Lisa also has a very wll maintained and regular blog on her investigations http://timespanner.blogspot.com/
A walk through our history
(Taken from a pamphlet of the same name, available from the library. Written by Leigh Kennaway)
The earliest maps of Auckland show Point Bunbury, named after Major Thomas Bunbury commander of the 80th regiment, and one of Governor Hobsons principle aides in the Treaty of Waitangi signings. None of the original land grants from the 1840s were taken up and it was not until 1861 that the Walker family moved on to land that they had purchased on the Western side of the Peninsula. At about that time Imperial Forces set up camps and a target rang, and the district was renamed after Captain George Robert Chevalier, a popular musketry instructor.
The area had a largely rural character up until the period between the two World Wars. On the corner of Alberta Street and Point Chevalier Road is "the old homestead", a 19th-century farmhouse now used as a community centre.
Point Chevalier as we know it today was the result of extensive subdivision and building during two post war booms. From 1923 to 1930 there was the first major expansion, with the large farming estates being carved up, and the building of the essential facilities for a small township; a bank, cinema, fire station, library and many of the shops. Extending the tram line from Surrey Crescent to Hall Corner and then later all the way to the beach helped boost property sales.
The Wall St crash of 1929 and the ensuing depression stifled any further growth apart from a number of relief projects, until the first Labour Government launched the state housing project in 1936. The outbreak of the second world war limited the amount of state houses built but there was massive post-war building programme. This gave homes to many returned servicemen as well as dozens of families who had been living in the Transit Camp at Western Springs.
The Old Homestead - A History
The Old Homestead had its beginnings in the 1880s when two old cottages were joined to provide an enlarged home for the farm property. Its size, locality and character have ensured its place in the memories of older Pt.Chevalier residents, and in addition to its use as a homestead, it served at one time as a school. In later times, ‘the Hankin Estate’ (its formal title), was administered by the Public Trust and for a number of years was vacant – prey for itinerants and gangs.
In 1974 a 5 year lease was granted to the Pt.Chevalier Church of Christ and after complete renovation the Old Homestead was opened as a Community House. Since that time it has continued to develop in response to the interest of the community and now receives over 20,000 visits each year.
Because of the obvious success over the initial 5 year period, the Pt.Chevalier Co-operating parish purchased the property to ensure its permanency as a community facility. By this time the need for expansion was urgent and in 1981 an attractive multi-purpose auditorium was built. To further protect the continuance of The Old Homestead as a community facility, in 1996 it was registered as an incorporated society.
The Old Homestead Community House is administered by a management committee with equal representation from the Point Chevalier Co-operating Parish and Homestead users.
We express appreciation to you as a community for your support of the Old Homestead Community House.